me and sweetpea...my angel

me and sweetpea...my angel
Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mi cyant dance.......

If you have ever been privileged to observe or be a part of a church service in the Caribbean, you will know exactly what I am talking about in this post. It is always amusing to us,( and HILARIOUS) to watch groups of lily white people who come here to visit try to dance like the Jamaicans when they sing. Our church services here in Jamaica always consist of a time of singing "lively songs". (That is actually what they call it!) During these lively songs everyone is clapping and moving from side to side and even the Pastors are doing a nice little "jig". I love it.....can't quite do it...but I love it. They "shuffle" ( I initially called it a sway and they quickly corrected me because sway has a sexual connotation here) from side to side and in perfect time and rhythm. We are in a different church with our students every weekend so I am always sitting in the pew with several of them during chorus time. I have tried and tried to get my white girl rhythm goin......it just ain't the same! They all laugh at me trying to "get my shuffle on" and just shake their head in disbelief. So now I stand between them and make them stand real close so they can "bump" me with their hips if I am out of sync. And...if you think I am bad, you should see my husband. He seriously can't even clap in sync! So, if you ever come to Jamaica...do yourself a favor in church.....please....just observe! This is just another rambling of one tired Jamerican......SELAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment